George T. Conway III, one of the founders of the anti-Trump group the Lincoln Project, said on Tuesday that it should close down in the wake of revelations that some of its leadership ignored warnings that another founder was harassing young men, including interns.
His comments came after a former senior adviser to the project, Kurt Bardella, tweeted on Tuesday, “Just shut it down already … it’s over.” Mr. Conway agreed in his own tweet, writing, “It’s a shame, and we shouldn’t forget the hard work of so many people and the positive things the organization did, but yes, I think this is right.”
In an interview on Tuesday, Mr. Conway said, “It’s just really sad and depressing, and I hope it doesn’t tarnish the work of so many people who devoted themselves to such a good cause.”
The Lincoln Project emerged over the last year as the leading group of Republicans opposed to the presidency of Donald J. Trump, skewering him with mocking ads and drawing a large following on the left.
But revelations last month that one of the group’s founders, the longtime political strategist John Weaver, had repeatedly harassed young men, including at least one minor, have engulfed the group in crisis. Its problems have intensified after a string of reports suggesting that the group’s leaders knew about Mr. Weaver’s conduct earlier than they had let on.
On Monday, the project said it had hired a law firm, Paul Hastings, “to investigate allegations of inappropriate behavior by John Weaver as part of a comprehensive review of our operations and culture.”
Friends, this isn’t the time to be complacent. If you are ready to fight for the soul of this nation, you can start by donating to elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris by clicking the button below.
Thank you so much for supporting Joe Biden’s Presidential campaign.