The filing deadline for candidates running for Congress in Minnesota was May 31, 2022. Thirty-two candidates are running for Minnesota’s eight U.S. House districts, including 18 Democrats and 14 Republicans. That’s four candidates per district, less than the 4.63 candidates per district in 2020 and the 4.75 in 2018.
Here are some other highlights from this year’s filings:
- This is the first election to take place under new district lines following the 2020 census. Minnesota was apportioned eight districts, the same number it was apportioned after the 2010 census.
- The 32 candidates running this year are five fewer than the 37 candidates who ran in 2020 and six fewer than the 38 who ran in 2018. Thirty candidates ran in 2016, 19 in 2014, and 28 in 2012.
- One district—the 1st—is open. That’s one more than in 2020 when there were no open seats and two fewer than in 2018 when there were three open seats.
- Former Rep. Jim Hagedorn (R)—the incumbent in the 1st district—passed away while in office on February 17, 2022. A special election to fill the seat is scheduled for August 9, 2022.
- Eight candidates—three Republicans and five Democrats, including incumbent Rep. Ilhan Omar (D)—are running in the 5th district, the most candidates running for a seat this year.
- There are nine contested primaries this year, five Democratic and four Republican. That number is down from 10 contested primaries in 2020 and 2018.
- Four incumbents — two Democrats and two Republicans — are not facing any primary challengers.
- Democratic and Republican candidates filed to run in all eight districts, so no seats are guaranteed to either party this year.
Minnesota and three other states — Connecticut, Vermont, and Wisconsin — are holding primary elections on August 9, 2022. In Minnesota, the winner of a primary election is the candidate who receives the greatest number of votes cast for that office, even if he or she does not win an outright majority.
Friends, this isn’t the time to be complacent. If you are ready to fight for the soul of this nation, you can start by donating to elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris by clicking the button below.
Thank you so much for supporting Joe Biden’s Presidential campaign.